In Short – Justin Hanks

In Short

What’s with our passion for abbreviations? And why is “abbreviations” such a long word?

In my opinion, it’s rude to not spell out entire words. The only time I use chatspeak is when someone isn’t worth my time. For example, if I were going to write a breakup letter, it might look like this…

Sup Ex,

Yes, u hurd me… U r my ex now. We r thru. It’s ur fault. U shouldn’t have wlkD away aftr our fyt. Y did u leaV? Y did u do dis 2 me? F u reply 2 dis letta, I dnt care f u say u will BRB or BBL. The fact is dat u rly said TTFN. Omg. I m seriS. I m nt LOL… nor m I ROFL or LMAO… I m nt evn ROFLMFAO. IMO, I honestly <3’d u. U wr my qt. U made me say ILY. U hurt me. WTG, jerk. FML.

I wish I knu the 411. Nt every1 n the wrld has ESP. It all hapnd so fast… 1 day I was @ the comp, but thN, I went AFK to cum vzit u. And as I went n 2 ur home, wut did I c? I saw u and ur other luvr. I wuz ^set. I almst had a AVE, BLVD, RD, ETC… I jst had 2 get 4, 4 away. The runN made me lose a lot of lbs (IE. APPROX 2).

@ home, my ETA wuz 4:00 PM. I prolly ran @ a pace of a billion MPH. Not dat u care tho. U always had a lo IQ. N e wA, here’s the surpriz: I filmd u cheatin on me. LOL! Take dat! Would u like a copy in VHS or DVD? Uhh… well… no 1 rly uses a VCR n e mor, but I’ll gladly make a VHS 4 ur parNts. Yes, dey gt a copy. ROFL. FYI, now u r the 1 dat is SOL. Dey will gt 2 watch evry sec of it. The day I send it is TBA. Liv n’ fear!

O, no need 4 thx… I’ll gladly say yw n advance.
RSVP 4 ur doom ASAP! (BYOB)

RIP,
Ur Ex Luvr

PS: FU

Blah. That actually took more effort than writing the full words.

I think I’ll simply ditch the shortcuts and cutesy initials. In terms of communication and a clearer exchange of ideas, it’s better PR.

1. Jill says:

Rahh that did hurt my head haha, but I still got most of it (lol).

2. I believe in using your words, writing in complete thoughts without all the shortcuts and cutesy initials. In terms of communication and a clearer exchange of ideas using your words is important, however, chatting online or sending cell phone text messages, using a few new SMS abbreviations to spice up your conversation limits time consumed.

3. Ben says:

Omg. That must have hurt soo much to write!
    I remember I used to speak like that. I still do on msn when I'm feeling really lazy.
    :S

4. lea says:

hahaa that is so true. I love your blogs. they are really entertaining.

5. Lee says:

OMG Jus10 dat lettr wuz soo Qt! I unnrstan mst of it LOL! "Ur Ex Luvr" xD LOL Jus10, jus LOL!

6. Jhase says:

Uh, wow..I did not understand any of that.

I agree, spell the words out. Abbreviations are annoying when used like that.

Oh and Justin, never demonstrate that again. My eyes seriously hurt. Lol

7. Quynh says:

hii justin ^^

rooofll. IMO, that takes up more time than typing proper grammar+english. =P epicfail.

8. Sean the Boyfriend says:

WOW! That did give me a headache. I had to stop reading it. haha. I think you and I have had this discussion before. The annoying thing is when people say these things out loud. No one should ever say LOL. And whats with Tots? Say the whole words damn it! Before you know it we will be talking with click sounds like Ethiopians. Or Beaker from the Muppets.

9. Casee says:

Did I mention my favorite song is BYOB?

10. Casee says: