Gay Power… Rangers – Justin Hanks

Gay Power… Rangers

I used to always watch the Power Rangers. I don’t watch it anymore. Now they have like wands and capes, and it’s like the Power Rangers and the Chamber of Secrets or something. I don’t know. But as a kid, that show was mighty.

I had the bed sheets. My friends used to go on and on about how hot the Pink Ranger was. She was like the old-school Megan Fox. Her name was Kimberly. They’d chant, “Kim’s sexy! Kim’s smoking!”

I, on the other hand, was more a fan of the green ranger (he’s a dude).

So yeah, I guess I always knew I liked guys. I didn’t always know I was gay, though. Confused? Well, I always had this weird abstract symbol in my mind for what I thought I was, but I didn’t classify it as gay.

I mean, I’d turn on the TV and see these religious figures preaching about how gay people were a danger to society and children, and I’d be like, “Well, that can’t be me. I can’t be gay. I’m just a kid myself… doing normal kid stuff.”

Growing up, I heard so many false, misleading, and sometimes downright mean things about who I was and what I was going to become, just because of my sexual orientation — something I have absolutely no control over.

When I first went to college, I was a little scared. Perhaps because it’s a religious university. I was all like, “Oh Snap. Jesuits.” But honestly, I don’t think I’ve faced a single problem. My high school was way worse. Back at my high school, I once got called an abomination because I had a sticker with a rainbow on it. You know, really dark stuff.

But at college, the environment was always positive. The staff was so supportive of diversity and celebrating what made everyone different. I guess that’s possibly the best advice I can give to others. If professionals and leaders are willing to look beyond the labels that society puts on people, why should you be afraid to do the same? No one is just athletic, just intelligent, just funny, just Latino, or just Jewish. Likewise, no one is just gay.

1. Angelica says:

That’s a great monologue and I really admire you for talking in front of so many people! πŸ™‚

Man I’d never dare to stand up and speak in front of so many people! I’d stutter, blush and probably faint from all the attention. I hate attention. O_o

2. Gail says:

I didn't know you are homosexual. I love you guys, you are so fun to be with πŸ™‚

3. Veronica says:

Haha The Green one was pretty hot – especially when he became the White One πŸ˜‰

That must've been an awkward place to put you in, though! Great work, coming through

4. Jess says:

That's a really great speech! It's really inspirational and I can see why they asked you to do it again πŸ™‚ I used to watch the Power Rangers for a while. It grew old (the effects… even at like… eight, I knew weren't incredible) I think you're incredibly brave to be able to stand up in front of a college orientation at a religious school and talk about diversity and differences. I couldn't do it.
    Hah, Pokemon tamagotchi-type thing? That sounds very interesting. I like the whole pedometer thing, though. I think if my friends had all gotten into that instead of those pixel-y toys I might be more of a health nut now πŸ˜€
    I have a sudden urge to look up Power Rangers and to buy a pedometer now… huh.

5. Georgina says:

You're absolutely right – no one is JUST gay. I really found this speech quite inspiring and I like that you feel so strongly and you aren't afraid of who you are. I'm really glad your speech was so well received, and it did have a gentle sense of humour in it. Best of luck in your next monologue. :3

6. Mandie says:

I agree with your monologue. No one is just gay, they're a little of everything. The same as everyone else.

I believe that people should be more open with a persons beliefs, religion, and sexuality. It's not fair to judge someone just because they're different than you.

Also, thank you for the comment on my blog too πŸ™‚ I am glad you like my layouts xD I love your site layout as well. It's amazing.

7. Kristina says:

You're a really good writer Justin! I really admire you for speaking to so many students, we really need more people like you around. Funny and just.. great. XD
    "because I had a sticker with a rainbow on it. You know, really dark stuff. "
    almost died. so funny. lmao.

and yes power rangers! I always wanted to be the pink one, but never got the opportunity. So you know, maybe one day..

8. Robmarie says:

Hey, I was a fan of the Green Ranger too! Tommy was HAWT! xD Great monologue!

9. Jenny says:

Love your monologue, and I'm sure the audience would've enjoyed it πŸ™‚

I used to watch Power Rangers too, and that was was awesome! I didn't know they have capes and wands now, that's just messed up -_-

10. Aashni says:

Man, I used to love the power rangers to! Especially the red one, and eventually the black one, i think it was. And I agree, they have so many different types of Power Ranger shows, that I lost track…

Back to the point of your post – wow, this sounds like it would have been a great monologue! I once wrote and performed one based on a picture of a pregnant girl on a swing. It's not easy! And I applaud you for taking such a positive approach to it, and showing the incoming freshman that they should feel free to be who they want πŸ˜€

Great post!