Gay Power… Rangers – Justin Hanks

Gay Power… Rangers

I used to always watch the Power Rangers. I don’t watch it anymore. Now they have like wands and capes, and it’s like the Power Rangers and the Chamber of Secrets or something. I don’t know. But as a kid, that show was mighty.

I had the bed sheets. My friends used to go on and on about how hot the Pink Ranger was. She was like the old-school Megan Fox. Her name was Kimberly. They’d chant, “Kim’s sexy! Kim’s smoking!”

I, on the other hand, was more a fan of the green ranger (he’s a dude).

So yeah, I guess I always knew I liked guys. I didn’t always know I was gay, though. Confused? Well, I always had this weird abstract symbol in my mind for what I thought I was, but I didn’t classify it as gay.

I mean, I’d turn on the TV and see these religious figures preaching about how gay people were a danger to society and children, and I’d be like, “Well, that can’t be me. I can’t be gay. I’m just a kid myself… doing normal kid stuff.”

Growing up, I heard so many false, misleading, and sometimes downright mean things about who I was and what I was going to become, just because of my sexual orientation — something I have absolutely no control over.

When I first went to college, I was a little scared. Perhaps because it’s a religious university. I was all like, “Oh Snap. Jesuits.” But honestly, I don’t think I’ve faced a single problem. My high school was way worse. Back at my high school, I once got called an abomination because I had a sticker with a rainbow on it. You know, really dark stuff.

But at college, the environment was always positive. The staff was so supportive of diversity and celebrating what made everyone different. I guess that’s possibly the best advice I can give to others. If professionals and leaders are willing to look beyond the labels that society puts on people, why should you be afraid to do the same? No one is just athletic, just intelligent, just funny, just Latino, or just Jewish. Likewise, no one is just gay.

1. Aashni says:

Man, I used to love the power rangers to! Especially the red one, and eventually the black one, i think it was. And I agree, they have so many different types of Power Ranger shows, that I lost track…

Back to the point of your post – wow, this sounds like it would have been a great monologue! I once wrote and performed one based on a picture of a pregnant girl on a swing. It's not easy! And I applaud you for taking such a positive approach to it, and showing the incoming freshman that they should feel free to be who they want πŸ˜€

Great post!

2. Jenny says:

Love your monologue, and I'm sure the audience would've enjoyed it πŸ™‚

I used to watch Power Rangers too, and that was was awesome! I didn't know they have capes and wands now, that's just messed up -_-

3. Robmarie says:

Hey, I was a fan of the Green Ranger too! Tommy was HAWT! xD Great monologue!

4. Kristina says:

You're a really good writer Justin! I really admire you for speaking to so many students, we really need more people like you around. Funny and just.. great. XD
    "because I had a sticker with a rainbow on it. You know, really dark stuff. "
    almost died. so funny. lmao.

and yes power rangers! I always wanted to be the pink one, but never got the opportunity. So you know, maybe one day..

5. Mandie says:

I agree with your monologue. No one is just gay, they're a little of everything. The same as everyone else.

I believe that people should be more open with a persons beliefs, religion, and sexuality. It's not fair to judge someone just because they're different than you.

Also, thank you for the comment on my blog too πŸ™‚ I am glad you like my layouts xD I love your site layout as well. It's amazing.

6. Georgina says:

You're absolutely right – no one is JUST gay. I really found this speech quite inspiring and I like that you feel so strongly and you aren't afraid of who you are. I'm really glad your speech was so well received, and it did have a gentle sense of humour in it. Best of luck in your next monologue. :3

7. Jess says:

That's a really great speech! It's really inspirational and I can see why they asked you to do it again πŸ™‚ I used to watch the Power Rangers for a while. It grew old (the effects… even at like… eight, I knew weren't incredible) I think you're incredibly brave to be able to stand up in front of a college orientation at a religious school and talk about diversity and differences. I couldn't do it.
    Hah, Pokemon tamagotchi-type thing? That sounds very interesting. I like the whole pedometer thing, though. I think if my friends had all gotten into that instead of those pixel-y toys I might be more of a health nut now πŸ˜€
    I have a sudden urge to look up Power Rangers and to buy a pedometer now… huh.

8. Veronica says:

Haha The Green one was pretty hot – especially when he became the White One πŸ˜‰

That must've been an awkward place to put you in, though! Great work, coming through

9. Gail says:

I didn't know you are homosexual. I love you guys, you are so fun to be with πŸ™‚

10. Angelica says:

That’s a great monologue and I really admire you for talking in front of so many people! πŸ™‚

Man I’d never dare to stand up and speak in front of so many people! I’d stutter, blush and probably faint from all the attention. I hate attention. O_o

11. Haily says:

That is so true. It's great how you feel comfortable in a university that religiously opposes homosexuality, yet that does not translate to opposing you as a person. THAT's progress. People need to understand that they have the right to form their own opinions and follow their own beliefs, but as a society we will not tolerate it when that is used to fuel hatred and bigotry. I consider myself lucky to be born in this era in which we have conquered (mostly) that type of hatred.

12. Passion says:

"Where have you been lately? ;)"
    offline πŸ˜›

Well done πŸ˜€
    gosh, I can't remember what the green one looked like.
    I really admire you for doing this speech. Most gay people tend to hide it, which I hate.
    I'm glad you didn't face any hate in your University. I wouldn't expect you to, because it's a religious school.
    lol, "rainbow sticker".

13. Felisa says:

I am clapping. You just can't see it. πŸ˜‰
    I love that you're going to a Jesuit school and don't feel like your sexual orientation is hindering you in any way. If anything, I feel like any Christian school/ denomination/ group/ pamphlet should preach about this kind of love and acceptance because isn't that what Christianity should be about? Shouldn't love be the ultimate aim? At least that's how it is for me.

Yay you for being graceful about who you are. Your sexual orientation is undoubtedly a part of who you are but I also like that you recognize that isn't the story of who you are entirely. Mad props. (I haven't said that in awhile…)

14. Libbyann says:

That was a great monologue. It's nice to be in a school that is open and accepting of everyone. I for one liked the yellow & black power ranger.

(Oh goodness, now the theme song is stuck in my head lol)

15. Catherine says:

That's a great monologue ^_^ It can be hard getting up and speaking in front of people but I'm glad it went well for you =] It's also great that homosexuals in your school are accepted πŸ™‚

16. Alice says:

LOL. GO POWER RANGERS! That's a great monologue. (: It's great that your university welcomes diversity and doesn't discriminate.
    —————————-
    Hahahahaha. Thanks for the creepy gift! (: I better not turn into that. If I do, I'm blaming you.
    Still "making movies" with your boyfriend? LOL. I actually made a movie, but it was an actual movie, not a "movie" movie. You know? And it wasn't a movie; it was only 3 minutes long. XD It was for a project for English class.

17. Holly says:

Yeah funny books are amazing!

Haha it must be useful then πŸ˜› I'll use it to scare people away!

I think that the best way to touch on subject that particular subject is with humor. Those who don't have an open mind will take to it much better.

I know about this subject from my brother who is also gay. He was about 20 when he actually told us he was homosexual and he explained that he had always kind of knew he was. When he was younger he played with girly toys such as Barbie so I think even my parents knew he was too.

I hate people who aren't opened minded and can't except gays. Everyone has the right to do whatever they want and be whoever they want to be. I must admit having a gay brother has opened my eyes. I've grown up with him and his sexuality so I suppose I'm use to it. I wouldn't have him any other way πŸ˜€

18. Amy says:

Ohmygosh I remember watching that show! (even though I'm a girl, I'm not exactly girlish, not even back then). xD I don't remember much about it besides my friend Justin and I were watching it, and we actually pretended to be power rangers. We chose which one we wanted to be by the colors we liked. I was the blue one. LOL.

I don't think sexuality is that much of a deal. It's just a fact. And it's not like your love life is the only reason you live. Yeah, some people are strictly religious and against all that stuff, but I'm like screw it. It's just another fact about a person. Like if someone has black hair, or brown. I'm personally straight, but I don't think of any bi or gay/lesbian people any different than I am. It's just a matter of choice. I have no opinion on religion. Just another matter of belief. :/
    And besides, people are just downright mean these days. I've seen and heard many things about other people who are different in one way or another. Are they bashing people that are different? Really. Huh.

19. Amy says:

Whoops, forgot to reply to your comment on my website! xD

I've gotten most of it, ya'know the part where he goes:
    "A singer in a smoking room
    The smell of wine and cheap perfume
    For a smile they can share the night
    It goes on and on and on"

My hands can't reach the chords for the next part(strangers waiting up the bouldevard)

And then my sheet music stops. I really gotta ask my mom to buy me it, rather than me finding a cover on Youtube. ^_^;

20. Morgan says:

I think he did. πŸ™‚

21. Alex says:

Well iPhones are for AT&T but my cell phone carrier is t-mobile so I had to unlock my phone so I could use it lol. Thankfully I got it

22. Alex says:

Sorry buy in my last comment I forgot something. Thanks for becoming a fan of my website!

23. Chynna says:

Power Rangers are immense. Seriously – they blew my mind when I was younger. People who didn't watch it when they were younger seriously had a poor childhood. Lol!

Wireless Festival is a music festival that's held every year over here in Hyde Park. It's held from 2nd – 4th of July. I'm going to the one on the 2nd – P!nk is the headliner πŸ˜€

x

24. Deanna says:

You are such a good public speaker. And you always know how make something serious into something funny. I think that is a great talent to have. I wish I could be even a little bit funny. I have no jokes at all lol.

25. Veronica says:

I so remember watching the power rangers when they were the MIGHTY MORPHIN ones… they got really crappy now… and yes Tommy was one hot mo'fo!

26. Emma says:

Wow well said. I used to love the power rangers haha, takes me back!

Well I'm 21 and just starting to learn so I'm even sadder! πŸ™

27. Debbie/Mom says:

This is such an excellent blog. It made me cry. This is so heart-warming and inspiring. I love it!! Very well said!! The green Power Ranger, really? I thought that you liked the blue one. Anyway, this is my favorite blog that you've ever written (the cop blog when you had to drop to your knees, is my second favorite. That still cracks me up). Really good stuff, Justin!!

28. Shekinah says:

Interesting. You're a great writer! Seriously! I'm already 16. A College Freshie. I'm starting to miss my High School life. My Friends, everything.

29. Nugget says:

I love your speech. You're an amazing writer, and I bet it even sounded better during orientation.
    Power Rangers–I always got up early to watch an episode when I was little. I became obsessive. And then Power Rangers got screwed up.

30. Sindara says:

Aw, it is so so um, so beautiful, but I was trying to think of a better word to describe it. High School is a load of Bull Poopie!

Yes it is pretty sad, you don't have your license, but whatever suits you!

Oh honey it is not skills! It is luck! I took it in a different town, same lady, but she is nicer over there. Too bad you don't live in Indiana, if you did you WOULD ABSOLUTELY pass!

Keypoints, Don't be nervous. Watch what you say, no damnmits, jesus swearing and such. They may speak quietly, so have someone speak quietly like turn left, right, parallel park behind ____ car. Get used to that, just in case. Be careful parallel parking. πŸ™‚ Watch your signs. πŸ™‚

31. Kitty says:

that was an awesome speach, too bad it was short, I always like reading your stuff.
    If only more people were open minded, really nice that they let you speak about that stuff. I guess you were very nervous. Hope to see your second monologue as well!

32. Lisa says:

I wish I was there to applaud you. It was indeed a well-written speech that really got in to me. I don't think I've ever read something this good.

I'm in awe. The last paragraph really was the best part. Best ending ever.

33. clairessa says:

That's a cool monologue. I think the gay-bashing has to be one of the biggest issues I have with the Christian church. Just like so many other things have been twisted out of context, I fear that homosexuality might be the 21st Century of out-of-context stupidity. And this is why I love college. Intelligence rules!

34. Monnii Bee says:

Oh yah, 'The Rainbow'. That hardcore, gangsta, Natzie Germany stuff right there =]
    Great monologue, you should tour it! Its so true that college is MUCH more open and understanding about things than in high school. It's all about liberation and all that jazz…

But did they really call the rainbow an abomination? Really? That's just so odd! If you come to Seattle right now we still have rainbow flags all over the city b/c of Pride Week. Guess my whole city is damned lol

35. Debbie/Mom says:

I still think this is great. I like the way this is written!! I love you and am proud of you. Are you coming for dinner & a movie Friday? Love, Mom

36. Erin Nicole says:

OMG! Like I told you earlier. I said I would read this, and I have. I LOVE IT! πŸ™‚ Great job!

I agree with everything you say. I would have gone with the gree one just cuz green is my fav color. But my mom didn't let me watch that show as a child because it "was to violent". Hahahaha. Obv she let my sister watch it because OMG I get freaking beat up by here just because I did like ONE thing wrong. It's bad but I love her anyway! <3

I've got nothing against the homosexuals and bisexuals of the world. I would actually love to have friends that are homosexual or bi, just as well, as straight friends. πŸ™‚ I'm going to visit a gay bar when I get old enough. I really want to meet some people, besides you, who are gay. πŸ™‚ I can't wait! <3 WORLD PEACE! Lol. πŸ™‚

37. Senyth says:

OMG. Monologues! :O I remember when I was in 3rd year Highschool and we were asked to give a monologue. I hated that part. It was so embarrassing! Urgh.

Anyway, your monologue is was better than mine. You do have a way with words. πŸ™‚

I was a little scared when I first got to College too. :O I guess we are all reluctant to changes, but change is inevitable.

38. TJ Lubrano says:

Society is very quick to stick labels on individuals. Man! I wished I was there to see you perform. That would be so cool! Your monologue is simply awesome! Well said!

39. One thing that I like most about gays is that they are "Gays"… not just by sexual orientation but also by the so-called state of emotion…being happy =)

I like their sense of humor, somewhat unique and really amusing…

Great Post! and Great Blog too! =)

40. Jewel says:

Well done on doing the monologue. I have never had a problem with someone being gay, I don't know why other people do. I wonder if you read Pierre la Roux's blog, Warfare, it is a very worthwhile read even for non-gay people like me.

41. James says:

Dont so many religions or faiths, condemn gay people to carry a cross or some such thing. Not a physical cross, a metaphysiclal one…more bo**ocks.
    Keep on keeping on, once again, love the layout of your blog…inspirational…

42. Lilly says:

This is a really good speech! *tears up* I can relate to a lot of the things you've said.

And I think that your new organisation is great ^_^

43. sayan says:

They can pass whatever they want but states can nullify it.