Your Clothes aren’t Gay – Justin Hanks

Your Clothes aren’t Gay

Well that’s gay. That’s soooo gay. That’s like totes uber gay. Bleh. You have no idea how many times I hear that awful phrase… uber.

… Okay, obviously I’m joking. My real gripe is with the word gay – a word that represents me – being used to express dislike and hate. I hear so many things called gay: homework, exams, traffic… One time I even heard a girl say, “My mom and dad are so gay!”

What the hell does that even mean? Was she adopted?

There are so many expressions about other minorities that people wouldn’t dare to say, but quips like “that’s so gay” and “no homo” are all over the place.

It’s ridiculous. The word gay used to mean happy. Now it means the complete opposite. It’s like when hipsters call something bad but really mean it’s good but truly mean it’s bad but ultimately mean nothing because they’re being “ironic.”

Considering the root definition, calling someone gay should be a compliment. Why doesn’t anybody ever say “Oh Em Gee! I love your bag! It’s so gay!”

One time, I was wearing a colorful jacket and somebody called it gay. Gah. Yes, I suppose in the grand scheme of things, my jacket prefers to mate with other jackets of the same sex. If I recall correctly, I actually found homoerotic magazines under its bed. Inside, there were highly explicit pictures of jackets taking it up the sleeve. They popped their collars, unzipped each other, turned inside out, and completely exposed their tags. There were even interracial pictures between a jacket and a muumuu.

On a serious note, being gay is not some zinger. I was born with a burdening secret. Growing up, I heard so many false, misleading, and downright mean things about who I was and what I was going to become. It’s unfair.

I totally believe in freedom of speech, but when you know you’re saying something hurtful, do you want to be THAT person who keeps saying it anyway?

Besides, there are so many awesome alternatives: that’s so vile! that’s so applesauce! that gives me the collywobbles! what a load of hooey! horseapples! poppycock! that’s so uber jacket!

I guess my point is that words can hurt, and in today’s world, members of the LGBTQABCDEFG community already have enough to deal with. Next time you’re pissed off at life, remember; the world isn’t gay… I am.

1. Noel says:

Hands up! I have been know to use that word in similar situations to what you've outlined above…

But only in "familiar company" – Say if I was with a few mates having a beer the odd "wtf man – those shoes are gay"

It seems that "gay" is been given another meaning like for e.g. "sick" Nowadays I hear ppl use "sick" as a compliment.. It's all f*cked but I guess thats the way the world is going…

Cool post;)

2. Jenny says:

Ok, I have to admit, I'm guilty of calling things I don't like gay occasionally, despite knowing how rude and insulting it is. It's like calling something "retarded", which I think is just as bad as using "gay". I'm trying to get rid of this bad habit though, promise! Now I just call things "stupid", because seriously, they are stupid, and stupid people don't really deserve any consideration -_-

3. Justin says:

I used to be really bad for this.. But I kinda stopped when I came out of the closet lol.
    I don't really mind when people say "That's so gay" around me, but it drives me absolutely bonkers when someone's like "That's so gay.. No offense!"

Like stfu, I wasn't offended until you made it seem like you were thinking about it being offensive you hoe.

4. McKayla Balzer says:

I, personally, find this post to be uber jacket. Totally insulted.

5. Liv says:

Oh god, I've never heard of "my mom and dad are so gay!" What the hell is wrong with people?

I must admit when I was younger I sometimes would call things gay, but then I befriended a girl who's a lesbian and learned how disrespectful it really is. Nowadays I just feel weird when people use the word like that. I'm thinking – are they doing it on purpose?

It's just a word that should be avoided being used as an adjective.

6. Jamie says:

Hey. I like J because of his personality. Unfortunately i don’t think he wants a gf right now. So far none of the guys i like do. Life is simple. I will tell you that much. As far as your post goes. Telling a person that they’re gay is wrong. U believe in gay rights and would never tell a person that unless we are joking about or talking about it. I.e. with someone who is. I know some pretty awesome gay people but i don’t care you’re still a human being with feelings.

7. colette says:

I think the problem isn't that people are being insensitive, but rather that they don't really think about the implications of the words they use. People are so prone to follow a trend, and the misuse of the word "gay" has become a trend among teenagers and young adults in the US, and thus people think it is okay to use it in every sentence, since "everyone is doing it". I think kids and people should be educated and encouraged to think for themselves, to not live for the trend, and to think before opening their mouth. Because, yes, it is so easy to say something and then realize that what we just said was actually bad, very bad, and that we just hurt somebody. People need to stop being so oblivious to reality and to those around them, and actually start caring more.

8. Camie says:

too soon… I'm adopted, remember? 😛

9. Chelstar says:

COLLYWOBBLES! That was beautiful and hilarious at the same time. Keep preaching!

10. AFlo says: