FEB

I Feel So Alienated

In my experience, first dates are awkward. When I barely know the other person, it’s a struggle to keep the conversation going. Inevitably, I give up and there’s a long pause where no one is talking. I hate that silence. It sends mixed signals, makes everyone uncomfortable, and provides no background noise to mask my burps and farts.

For that reason, I prepare questions in advance. A first date with me becomes a full-fledged interrogation. My favorite question to ask is, “What are you afraid of?” It’s a fantastic icebreaker. You can learn a lot about a guy from his fears.

Fears reveal vulnerabilities and pain. They make it easier to connect. In the past, guys have mentioned spiders, heights, and even death. One dude said he was afraid of the mystery meat in school cafeterias. That date went well until I ordered the meatloaf.

All these fears make sense to me. They’re practical and life-saving. Being fearful of tall buildings or rotten food can keep you safe. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same thing about my fear. My fear is bizarre and unlikely to ever protect me. It spooks me. It keeps me up at night. It makes me suck my thumb and hide under my blanky.

So now you’re probably wondering, “What on Earth scares him so much?” Well, quit being so narrow-minded. My fear isn’t on Earth. My fear is literally out of this world. I’m afraid of aliens.

To specify, I’m talking about the aliens that come from outer-space. I’m not talking about the aliens that come from, say, Cuba.

I don’t care if they come in peace. Aliens totally freak me out. Especially the cliché, cartoony aliens. I don’t like their big black eyes, giant green heads, or awkwardly elongated arms. When I look at pictures of them, I feel a strange discomfort. I don’t know why. Maybe I was abducted in the past or somethi… oh dear god, WHERE IS MY BLANKY?!

When an alien pops up in a movie, I don’t just pee a little; I pee until I have nothing left inside of me and deflate like an inflatable mattress. When I was younger, the film E.T. the Extraterrestrial scared the living air out of me.

Seriously. That movie destroyed me. I’d always be on edge, because one of the lamps in our living room made a shadow that resembled his glowing hand and turdish body. One night, I had a terrible nightmare and woke up screaming, “E.T. tried to finger me!” Yeah… not one of my proudest moments.

Stupid dreams have always been a part of my childhood. I also had recurring nightmares about those talking M&M mascots. Instead of me trying to eat them, they were constantly trying to eat me

Looking back on it, being afraid of the “M&M people” makes sense. I mean, M&M’s are a registered trademark of the Mars snack-food company. Mars… like Martians! What if the connection isn’t a coincidence? What if our planet has already been invaded?

We must fight back with another bite-sized candy! I’d suggest Reese’s Pieces, but we all know E.T. loves them.

• Anna / KittyCat
    Feb 13, 2009 3:00 pm

Aliens are cool :D!!!!
    But, I'm scared of the grudge :O… People find that weird too and always make that scary noise… I hate them, they think it's funny but I almost die!!

• sarahc
    Feb 13, 2009 2:38 pm

Aw, aliens! So I guess I couldn't get you to watch Alien Ressurection with me, huh? =) I'm afraid of heights. Yeah, even getting on the ferris wheel freaks me out ;(

And, I'm keeping februaryaffair, heh.

• Lani
    Feb 13, 2009 2:23 pm

Oh Justin, I want to believe…
    But I like sci-fi too much to be afraid of aliens, although I hated ET with a passion… I wanted to stab him… hard… in the back.
    Although I too share your feelings of ostracism for having a weird fear, I'm afraid of babies. Holding them, looking at them, how I should react when talking about them, being asked to look after them… everything. Babies are just scary stuff.

• lillie
    Feb 13, 2009 1:51 pm

omg…
    what about chicken little D:?!

• Robmarie
    Feb 13, 2009 12:27 pm

The truth is out there, Justin! XD

• Anonymous
    Feb 13, 2009 12:00 pm

First of all, I would like to say, I absolutely love your domain name.

Your fear of aliens isn't that odd. I know a few people that are afraid of them. But you know, they're probably not that bad. I'm sure some of them think the sames things about us.

Have you ever seen the movie Cloverfield? If you haven't, don't. If ET scared you, that one will give you a seizure.

Actually, I'm really into the whole extra-terrestrials thing. I'd love to at least communicate with one before I die.

My biggest fear is pretty stupid, though. A lot worse than yours. Mine's large bodies of water. Actually, not even large bodies. Any body of water. I can sit in a bathtub but that's about it.

So it could always be worse. At least you're not afraid of pickles or something. (I saw that on the Maury Show once. For real.)

• Vincent
    Feb 13, 2009 11:03 am

Ooh aliens? I know that the film "War of the Worlds" scared me, so I would definitily recommend NOT watching that.. I've never seen E.T. personally, I didn't think it was sad or worth crying about, twas a midget in a skeleton costume.

• Chrys
    Feb 13, 2009 6:52 am

Don't worry there is an actual fear of BUTTERFLYS. I do not understand… They are COMPLETELY harmless. And they look so pretty… They are completely fragile… And it's not like they can fly fast!!

I never watched E.T. I think I have a fear of bad graphics in movies… 😀

Awh, shucks 🙂 I can see my little link. Whoop, whoop.

• Melle
    Feb 13, 2009 6:40 am

i'm one of those people who has this fear of heights. idk if aliens are for real.. there was a humor before that angelina jolie plans to adopt em.. lol the movie E.T made me cry though

ps: if ever you'll visit my blog.. the password for my post is: whatcanmelsay

• Kari
    Feb 12, 2009 11:32 pm

1st off, God Bless the name of your website! (bet you didn't have to fight people to get that domain name huh 😉 )

2nd off, your last paragraph ALMOST made me pee a lot!

3rdly and lastly….I guess you aren't a fan of "Signs"….

• Fia
    Feb 12, 2009 11:09 pm

I don't really fear anything I haven't seen yet so aliens do not scare me. A lot of blood does though. I';; probably faint. But it's pretty weird how you fear aliens. 🙂 Some aliens are cute. LMAO xD

• Andrea
    Feb 12, 2009 10:21 pm

ohh Justin, you made my day!! Where do you come up with this stuff? 😀

(and thanks for the wicked craving for Reese's pieces now 🙁 )

• jeffrey
    Feb 12, 2009 7:10 pm

lmao i found your site off shellz n this blog is so halarious. especially if you read it as if fred figglehorn( youtube kid fred ) was saying it. " aliens just dont make me pee a ittle.. they make me pee until i have nothing let inside of me. if i have a close encounter of the third kind, i will scream at the top of my lungs, slam my door in his/her/its face, and then run in the opposite direction like a little girl. and then the face u used ohhh miiii gawwdd halarious. lol the entire blog is amazing.

• Shellz
    Feb 12, 2009 6:51 pm

2nd comment? ha, wow. =D
    I've always feared 'mystery meat' day at school, except they called it "Chef's Choice" eek! Justin, have you ever seen a fetus like 5 or 6 months before it's born? It looks like a baby alien, in a way, cuz their eyes are like all undeveloped and stuff, lol.
    M&MS isn't taste the rainbow, that's Skittles! lol ET was the nice one, but you never know. o_0

Have you seen War of the Worlds?

• Stephine
    Feb 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Haha. The blogs that you come up with are absolutely great. They make my bad days good and my good days better 🙂 Be careful with aliens, they can like transform into people looking things or something like that, I seen it on a movie once. They like take other peoples faces and whatnot.