JAN

Tales from the Crib

I frequently stumble across news articles about how children are witnessing too much violence on TV. I’m not here to argue whether this is true or not, but I do think the authors of these articles are hypocrites. I mean, children have always been exposed to traumatizing amounts of violence. Why start caring now?

Exhibit A:
“Rock-a-bye baby, on the treetop,
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock,
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall,
And down will come baby, cradle and all.”

What kind of sicko puts a baby in a tree and leaves him there so that the wind blows it and knocks him down? This death threat has been around since 1765. Censorship-concerned moms are happily singing it to their young ones with huge smiles on their faces.

I mean, close your eyes and actually try to picture what it’s saying. Personally, I imagine Jigsaw from the Saw movies eagerly waiting for his deathtrap’s bough to break. In the background, Rob Zombie is singing “Let the Babies Hit the Floor.”

What the hell did the baby ever do, anyway? It’s not like he deserved this horrible treatment. What crimes can a person commit at five months? Pooping in a diaper isn’t frowned upon until you’re at least thirty.

And did you know that “Rock-A-Bye Baby” is said to be one of the first poems ever written on American soil? Well jeez. That was a promising start for this country…

Back to the point: Long before TV shows and video games were scarring children, we had Mother Goose, or as I like to call her; Murderer Goose.

Murderer Goose also told us the delightful tale of “Jack and Jill.” You know, the one where Jack severely injures his head and Jill spasms uncontrollably while plummeting to her death.

“Humpty Dumpty” is similarly delectable (perhaps a poor choice of words?) The main character, your hero, falls off a wall and has his innards splatter all over the King’s men. No little kid should be subjected to this. The pain sounds eggcruciating.

There’s so much horrible violence being spooned to infants. Wouldn’t it be funny if parents had to lawfully announce a disclaimer to them? “Hansel and Gretel: Rated C for Cannibalism.”

All joking aside, it looks like violence has been a part of children’s lives for quite some time now. Television, ironically, might be the only opportunity for kids to see any happiness at all.

• Maria
    Jan 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Hwy Justin! Sorry it took so long to reply, with Christmas and New Year I've been so flat out.

I would love advertising on your site but I'm currently unemployed and blew too much money on advertising what semi fell through!

I love the new layout! Amazing, as usual ๐Ÿ™‚

xox Maria

• Thao
    Jan 08, 2010 4:53 pm

It's kind of like how in music, people just sing along sometimes and they don't even know what the hell it's saying. One time, when my husband was not my husband, but just a boyfriend, he sang me a lovely melody… but it was a breakup song. He just thought the melody was nice. The poems, in essence, are the same thing. People are stupid and violent visuals seem to have more of an effect which is probably why they care more… or their panties are in a bunch.

• Demi.
    Jan 08, 2010 1:56 pm

Its treated me well so far, how about yourself?

Its so true what you say about the rhymes. I never thought about it like that.

I love your layout by the way, it's pretty cool ๐Ÿ™‚

• Deanna
    Jan 08, 2010 12:31 pm

It's true what you say. In one of my English text books you will find a lot more children's stories from the past that talk about gruesome murders and deaths. But I think the problem with today's youth is that sometimes their parents don't teach them the difference between a story and reality. They think what they see if real life and go out to imitate it and then we get all kinds of societal problems.

• Nancy
    Jan 08, 2010 11:04 am

School hasn`t officially started yet. Yesterday, I just went to school for the camp thing I had to do. :} a field trip during vacation. :o!

• Nancy
    Jan 08, 2010 10:53 am

Oooh, just want to be in it :P. Still, good luck& have fun ๐Ÿ˜€
    I`ll get the homework done ๐Ÿ™‚ 2 page report on a scientist ๐Ÿ™‚ &then copy the notes into my notebook. ๐Ÿ˜›

• Nancy
    Jan 08, 2010 10:46 am

Good luck with the audition& Hope you get that part you want :D. I`m not doing much besides checking what`s new on facebook. Then maybe finishing up my homework. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Nancy
    Jan 08, 2010 10:29 am

It kinda was. It`s all cool. ๐Ÿ™‚

• nancy
    Jan 08, 2010 9:42 am

Mmm, spaghetti… Love them! Yesterday during lunch, I had fries, bacon& rice. haha. Not much choices yesterday :/. &sushi for dinner. Which made my teeth hurt… :(.

• Shannon
    Jan 07, 2010 11:04 pm

LOL You are absolutely right! You really touched on some good points, especially with the little lullabies. I thought I was the only one who noticed it. Just like "Ring Around The Rosy" was actually a song created by the Plague and the song is about death, but little children walk around singing it all of the time.

• nancy
    Jan 07, 2010 7:59 pm

I just paid 65 cents because of the over limit ;P. Last summer during mentor camp, it was a buffet without a limit! I guess we got carried away ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Tiffany
    Jan 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Ahh, thank you for your compliments on my photographs ๐Ÿ™‚ 'The one with the pink' is actually of an Australian native plant I think it's called a banksia. No idea, but it's Australian native. xD

Ahh Charles Darwin. Gotta thank his theory of evolution. Science applies everywhere ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• nancy
    Jan 07, 2010 6:40 pm

Yup, that too. I blame the teacher for always making us read books without doing any proper critical analysis. I did poorly because of her :).
    But that was like. 8 months ago. Blegh,

• nancy
    Jan 07, 2010 5:43 pm

I wouldn`t know what else there is. I already turned in everything& did every work, so yeah :O! But I still have fault in it too ๐Ÿ™‚

• nancy
    Jan 07, 2010 4:41 pm

My english teacher from 9th grade (last year) found one of my old blogs. &in the end, she gave me a C for the class on how much crap I wrote about her. Well, technically, I didn`t say crap about her :/. It was more like, "In English, it was so boring. I`m not even learning anything much this year… I`ll know why my state test scores for english is low this year." And stuff :O! though it`s true! Haha.
    JV is probably… Well, I would consider the one`s in the office or in the health department :).

My name is Justin, and you've stumbled upon my home on the web. From writing and coding to theater and cosplay, I'm always up to something. I havenโ€™t been myself ever since I was born.