JUN

Gay Power… Rangers

I used to always watch the Power Rangers. I don’t watch it anymore. Now they have like wands and capes, and it’s like the Power Rangers and the Chamber of Secrets or something. I don’t know. But as a kid, that show was mighty.

I had the bed sheets. My friends used to go on and on about how hot the Pink Ranger was. She was like the old-school Megan Fox. Her name was Kimberly. They’d chant, “Kim’s sexy! Kim’s smoking!”

I, on the other hand, was more a fan of the green ranger (he’s a dude).

So yeah, I guess I always knew I liked guys. I didn’t always know I was gay, though. Confused? Well, I always had this weird abstract symbol in my mind for what I thought I was, but I didn’t classify it as gay.

I mean, I’d turn on the TV and see these religious figures preaching about how gay people were a danger to society and children, and I’d be like, “Well, that can’t be me. I can’t be gay. I’m just a kid myself… doing normal kid stuff.”

Growing up, I heard so many false, misleading, and sometimes downright mean things about who I was and what I was going to become, just because of my sexual orientation — something I have absolutely no control over.

When I first went to college, I was a little scared. Perhaps because it’s a religious university. I was all like, “Oh Snap. Jesuits.” But honestly, I don’t think I’ve faced a single problem. My high school was way worse. Back at my high school, I once got called an abomination because I had a sticker with a rainbow on it. You know, really dark stuff.

But at college, the environment was always positive. The staff was so supportive of diversity and celebrating what made everyone different. I guess that’s possibly the best advice I can give to others. If professionals and leaders are willing to look beyond the labels that society puts on people, why should you be afraid to do the same? No one is just athletic, just intelligent, just funny, just Latino, or just Jewish. Likewise, no one is just gay.

• Sindara
    Jun 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Aw, it is so so um, so beautiful, but I was trying to think of a better word to describe it. High School is a load of Bull Poopie!

Yes it is pretty sad, you don't have your license, but whatever suits you!

Oh honey it is not skills! It is luck! I took it in a different town, same lady, but she is nicer over there. Too bad you don't live in Indiana, if you did you WOULD ABSOLUTELY pass!

Keypoints, Don't be nervous. Watch what you say, no damnmits, jesus swearing and such. They may speak quietly, so have someone speak quietly like turn left, right, parallel park behind ____ car. Get used to that, just in case. Be careful parallel parking. πŸ™‚ Watch your signs. πŸ™‚

• Nugget
    Jun 30, 2010 3:55 pm

I love your speech. You're an amazing writer, and I bet it even sounded better during orientation.
    Power Rangers–I always got up early to watch an episode when I was little. I became obsessive. And then Power Rangers got screwed up.

• Shekinah
    Jun 30, 2010 8:41 am

Interesting. You're a great writer! Seriously! I'm already 16. A College Freshie. I'm starting to miss my High School life. My Friends, everything.

• Debbie/Mom
    Jun 29, 2010 10:47 pm

This is such an excellent blog. It made me cry. This is so heart-warming and inspiring. I love it!! Very well said!! The green Power Ranger, really? I thought that you liked the blue one. Anyway, this is my favorite blog that you've ever written (the cop blog when you had to drop to your knees, is my second favorite. That still cracks me up). Really good stuff, Justin!!

• Emma
    Jun 29, 2010 11:01 am

Wow well said. I used to love the power rangers haha, takes me back!

Well I'm 21 and just starting to learn so I'm even sadder! πŸ™

• Veronica
    Jun 29, 2010 2:15 am

I so remember watching the power rangers when they were the MIGHTY MORPHIN ones… they got really crappy now… and yes Tommy was one hot mo'fo!

• Deanna
    Jun 28, 2010 7:04 am

You are such a good public speaker. And you always know how make something serious into something funny. I think that is a great talent to have. I wish I could be even a little bit funny. I have no jokes at all lol.

• Chynna
    Jun 28, 2010 12:32 am

Power Rangers are immense. Seriously – they blew my mind when I was younger. People who didn't watch it when they were younger seriously had a poor childhood. Lol!

Wireless Festival is a music festival that's held every year over here in Hyde Park. It's held from 2nd – 4th of July. I'm going to the one on the 2nd – P!nk is the headliner πŸ˜€

x

• Alex
    Jun 27, 2010 12:20 pm

Sorry buy in my last comment I forgot something. Thanks for becoming a fan of my website!

• Alex
    Jun 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Well iPhones are for AT&T but my cell phone carrier is t-mobile so I had to unlock my phone so I could use it lol. Thankfully I got it

• Morgan
    Jun 27, 2010 11:54 am

I think he did. πŸ™‚

• Amy
    Jun 27, 2010 11:06 am

Whoops, forgot to reply to your comment on my website! xD

I've gotten most of it, ya'know the part where he goes:
    "A singer in a smoking room
    The smell of wine and cheap perfume
    For a smile they can share the night
    It goes on and on and on"

My hands can't reach the chords for the next part(strangers waiting up the bouldevard)

And then my sheet music stops. I really gotta ask my mom to buy me it, rather than me finding a cover on Youtube. ^_^;

• Amy
    Jun 27, 2010 11:02 am

Ohmygosh I remember watching that show! (even though I'm a girl, I'm not exactly girlish, not even back then). xD I don't remember much about it besides my friend Justin and I were watching it, and we actually pretended to be power rangers. We chose which one we wanted to be by the colors we liked. I was the blue one. LOL.

I don't think sexuality is that much of a deal. It's just a fact. And it's not like your love life is the only reason you live. Yeah, some people are strictly religious and against all that stuff, but I'm like screw it. It's just another fact about a person. Like if someone has black hair, or brown. I'm personally straight, but I don't think of any bi or gay/lesbian people any different than I am. It's just a matter of choice. I have no opinion on religion. Just another matter of belief. :/
    And besides, people are just downright mean these days. I've seen and heard many things about other people who are different in one way or another. Are they bashing people that are different? Really. Huh.

• Holly
    Jun 27, 2010 10:34 am

Yeah funny books are amazing!

Haha it must be useful then πŸ˜› I'll use it to scare people away!

I think that the best way to touch on subject that particular subject is with humor. Those who don't have an open mind will take to it much better.

I know about this subject from my brother who is also gay. He was about 20 when he actually told us he was homosexual and he explained that he had always kind of knew he was. When he was younger he played with girly toys such as Barbie so I think even my parents knew he was too.

I hate people who aren't opened minded and can't except gays. Everyone has the right to do whatever they want and be whoever they want to be. I must admit having a gay brother has opened my eyes. I've grown up with him and his sexuality so I suppose I'm use to it. I wouldn't have him any other way πŸ˜€

• Alice
    Jun 27, 2010 10:24 am

LOL. GO POWER RANGERS! That's a great monologue. (: It's great that your university welcomes diversity and doesn't discriminate.
    —————————-
    Hahahahaha. Thanks for the creepy gift! (: I better not turn into that. If I do, I'm blaming you.
    Still "making movies" with your boyfriend? LOL. I actually made a movie, but it was an actual movie, not a "movie" movie. You know? And it wasn't a movie; it was only 3 minutes long. XD It was for a project for English class.

© Copyright 2012 - 2018 Justin Hanks , All Rights Reserved.