MAY

Your Clothes aren’t Gay

Well that’s gay. That’s soooo gay. That’s like totes uber gay. Bleh. You have no idea how many times I hear that awful phrase… uber.

… Okay, obviously I’m joking. My real gripe is with the word gay – a word that represents me – being used to express dislike and hate. I hear so many things called gay: homework, exams, traffic… One time I even heard a girl say, “My mom and dad are so gay!”

What the hell does that even mean? Was she adopted?

There are so many expressions about other minorities that people wouldn’t dare to say, but quips like “that’s so gay” and “no homo” are all over the place.

It’s ridiculous. The word gay used to mean happy. Now it means the complete opposite. It’s like when hipsters call something bad but really mean it’s good but truly mean it’s bad but ultimately mean nothing because they’re being “ironic.”

Considering the root definition, calling someone gay should be a compliment. Why doesn’t anybody ever say “Oh Em Gee! I love your bag! It’s so gay!”

One time, I was wearing a colorful jacket and somebody called it gay. Gah. Yes, I suppose in the grand scheme of things, my jacket prefers to mate with other jackets of the same sex. If I recall correctly, I actually found homoerotic magazines under its bed. Inside, there were highly explicit pictures of jackets taking it up the sleeve. They popped their collars, unzipped each other, turned inside out, and completely exposed their tags. There were even interracial pictures between a jacket and a muumuu.

On a serious note, being gay is not some zinger. I was born with a burdening secret. Growing up, I heard so many false, misleading, and downright mean things about who I was and what I was going to become. It’s unfair.

I totally believe in freedom of speech, but when you know you’re saying something hurtful, do you want to be THAT person who keeps saying it anyway?

Besides, there are so many awesome alternatives: that’s so vile! that’s so applesauce! that gives me the collywobbles! what a load of hooey! horseapples! poppycock! that’s so uber jacket!

I guess my point is that words can hurt, and in today’s world, members of the LGBTQABCDEFG community already have enough to deal with. Next time you’re pissed off at life, remember; the world isn’t gay… I am.

• Ashleenah
    May 18, 2012 9:48 pm

I can admit that I use "gay" in the wrong context but it usually slips out & I don't really realise that I've used it like that until comments like this blog entry are made. I guess I don't use to much anymore, if at all.

I never really think about how it could offend/annoy others, but it makes me think twice about the things I say & how they could come across to others.

Thank you for commenting on my blog post. Actually made me feel a whole lot better. I'm a very shy person so going out & doing new things/meeting new people is a very hard thing for me to do. I barely even like meeting my boyfriends friends. :s

• Rachel
    May 18, 2012 12:22 pm

In third grade, my teacher asked the class to share what they thought about school. I thought I would be clever and show off my vast vocabulary, so when the teacher called on me, I said, "I think school is gay." You can guess what I meant and what everyone else thought I meant. That was when I first learned how the word could be used negatively, and I guess that's why I've never thought it was okay to say something was gay, even before I knew homosexuality existed.

• Michelle
    May 18, 2012 10:24 am

I won't lie I used to say that phrase but I was stupid/dumb back then and didn't realize words could hurt. Since a long time ago, I stopped saying it but one time it did slip out accidentally and people freaked. I think it's okay if it's a slip and was not meant to say but if people say it anyhow without any regard..well that's different.

• Erica
    May 18, 2012 9:03 am

I'll give up saying uber as long as we can team up to make pork a dirty word again.

I call stupid shit gay. And it's not because I'm calling it homosexual. It's because it's stupid shit. Just like gay used to mean happy, and then it meant homosexual, you have to keep in mind that words do change in definitions. No one means it as in something horrible is gay, homosexuals are gay, therefore homosexuals or horrible or anything equally as retarded (note, I don't mean mentally handicapped).

As a Canadian living in the USA I get a lot of lols from people when they find out I'm Canadian. I wouldn't care if people said something is bad by calling it Canadian though, just like I don't mind when I get teased abotu my trash-can head, ala South Park.

• Holly
    May 17, 2012 11:22 pm

I couldn't agree more with you. I hate to hear the term gay used in such a bad way. I think the world has forgotten its true meaning. I hate it when people say things like "oh, don't be gay". What? Why? There is nothing wrong with being gay so why use it as an insult.

Jackets mating with jackets of the same sex haha that's just hillarious!

Yeah it's my final year of college, then university next year! A levels the exams you take throughout college when you are 17 and 18. We seem to have a very complicated system of education in the UK compared to in the US.

I've never heard of Fringe before. I'll have to check it out. 🙂

• Noel
    May 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Hands up! I have been know to use that word in similar situations to what you've outlined above…

But only in "familiar company" – Say if I was with a few mates having a beer the odd "wtf man – those shoes are gay"

It seems that "gay" is been given another meaning like for e.g. "sick" Nowadays I hear ppl use "sick" as a compliment.. It's all f*cked but I guess thats the way the world is going…

Cool post;)

• Jenny
    May 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Ok, I have to admit, I'm guilty of calling things I don't like gay occasionally, despite knowing how rude and insulting it is. It's like calling something "retarded", which I think is just as bad as using "gay". I'm trying to get rid of this bad habit though, promise! Now I just call things "stupid", because seriously, they are stupid, and stupid people don't really deserve any consideration -_-

• Justin
    May 17, 2012 4:26 pm

I used to be really bad for this.. But I kinda stopped when I came out of the closet lol.
    I don't really mind when people say "That's so gay" around me, but it drives me absolutely bonkers when someone's like "That's so gay.. No offense!"

Like stfu, I wasn't offended until you made it seem like you were thinking about it being offensive you hoe.

• McKayla Balzer
    May 17, 2012 3:32 pm

I, personally, find this post to be uber jacket. Totally insulted.

• Liv
    May 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Oh god, I've never heard of "my mom and dad are so gay!" What the hell is wrong with people?

I must admit when I was younger I sometimes would call things gay, but then I befriended a girl who's a lesbian and learned how disrespectful it really is. Nowadays I just feel weird when people use the word like that. I'm thinking – are they doing it on purpose?

It's just a word that should be avoided being used as an adjective.

• Jamie
    May 17, 2012 10:34 am

Hey. I like J because of his personality. Unfortunately i don’t think he wants a gf right now. So far none of the guys i like do. Life is simple. I will tell you that much. As far as your post goes. Telling a person that they’re gay is wrong. U believe in gay rights and would never tell a person that unless we are joking about or talking about it. I.e. with someone who is. I know some pretty awesome gay people but i don’t care you’re still a human being with feelings.

• colette
    May 17, 2012 9:46 am

I think the problem isn't that people are being insensitive, but rather that they don't really think about the implications of the words they use. People are so prone to follow a trend, and the misuse of the word "gay" has become a trend among teenagers and young adults in the US, and thus people think it is okay to use it in every sentence, since "everyone is doing it". I think kids and people should be educated and encouraged to think for themselves, to not live for the trend, and to think before opening their mouth. Because, yes, it is so easy to say something and then realize that what we just said was actually bad, very bad, and that we just hurt somebody. People need to stop being so oblivious to reality and to those around them, and actually start caring more.

• Camie
    May 17, 2012 7:03 am

too soon… I'm adopted, remember? 😛

• Chelstar
    May 17, 2012 6:57 am

COLLYWOBBLES! That was beautiful and hilarious at the same time. Keep preaching!

• AFlo